So you have decided that now is maybe the time to find another social media platform and move beyond the nest. Maybe one that isn’t a business model based on harvesting every last bit of your data. This is where the Fediverse comes in. What is the Fediverse I hear you ask? Well I have some answers for you.
The fediverse is a term used to describe a decentralized network of independently-operated servers that all use the same open-source software to communicate with each other. This network is based on the principles of federation, which allows users on one server to interact with users on other servers in a seamless and transparent way. Examples of services that are part of the fediverse include Mastodon, Pleroma, PeerTube and Pixelfed.
How do I join Mastodon?
To create an account on Mastodon, you will first need to find a “Mastodon instance” to join. A Mastodon instance is a separate version of the Mastodon platform that is run by an individual or organization. To find an instance, you can visit the Mastodon website (https://joinmastodon.org/) and use the “Get started” button to browse a list of instances. Once you find an instance that you like, click on it to go to its sign-up page. Once you have signed up and created an account, you will be able to log in and start using Mastodon.
Here are the steps in more details:
- Go to https://joinmastodon.org/
- Click on the “Get started” button
- Browse the list of instances and choose one that interests you
- Click on the instance to go to its sign-up page
- Fill in your information and create an account
- Once you have created your account, you can log in and start using Mastodon.
In Mastodon, you can post text and media, follow other users, and join conversations. You can interact with people on your instance or across instances. Some of the features in Mastodon are similar to other social media platforms, such as Twitter.
Mastodon is a decentralized, open-source social media platform that is similar to Twitter. The platform is made up of many different servers, or “instances,” that are run by different organizations or individuals. Each instance has its own community and set of rules, but there are also some general guidelines for using Mastodon that are considered good etiquette.
- Respect other users’ privacy: Do not share personal information about someone without their consent.
- Be respectful and kind: Treat others the way you would like to be treated. Do not harass, bully, or discriminate against others.
- Do not spam: Do not post the same message multiple times or post irrelevant content.
- Follow the community guidelines of the instance you are on: Each instance may have its own set of rules, so be sure to read and follow them.
- Keep in mind that Mastodon is a public platform: Your posts can be seen by anyone, so be mindful of what you share and how you present yourself.
- Always use Content Warnings and Sensitive Media settings and never forget Alt Text to describe images for the visually impaired.
By following these guidelines, you can help create a positive and respectful community on Mastodon.
There will be a whole post on how to choose your Mastodon Instance!
Can I move to a new Mastodon Instance?
To move to a new Mastodon instance, you will need to do the following steps:
- Find a new Mastodon instance that you would like to join. You can search for instances on the Mastodon website (https://joinmastodon.org/) or by asking for recommendations from other Mastodon users.
- Register for an account on the new instance. You can do this by visiting the new instance’s website and following the registration instructions.
- Once you have registered for an account, log in to the new instance and go to your settings page.
- On the settings page, you will find an option to “Export your data.” Click this button to export all of your posts, followers, and other data from your old account.
- Next, log in to your old Mastodon account and go to the settings page.
- On the settings page, you will find an option to “Import data.” Click this button and select the file you exported from your new account.
- Once the import is complete, you can start posting and interacting with other users on the new instance.
Note: If the new instance you are moving to does not have an import option, you can use a tool like “Mastodon Backup” to export your data and then import it to your new instance.
This sounds complicated
It isn’t really, just remember that even Twitter seemed daunting at first, but we all learned and grew and Twitter did. Now it is time to move beyond the nest and explore beyond the limits of the Birdsite.
We will be offering a free online trial class in February that can help you find your way in this new social media landscape. One of the things we will cover is step by step instructions on how to join an Instance You register at the below and reserve your place. We will need to limit this to the first five people to register, but if we get a bigger response we may well offer this session again. Please be aware that all times listed will be UK time. Introduction to Mastodon
Eroticon Technical Director